SPEC: kashmiriana

  • Subject: SPEC: kashmiriana
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:49:42 -0500

After rooting around in the archives, I see that I. kashmiriana showed
up several times in discussions as far back as July 1996, where

Robert Turley (then in  LaBelle, FL) said:
<...Mohr/Mitchell...used iris species in their breeding from the middle
east like I. mesopotamia, I. cypriana, I. kashmiriana & I. trojana.
Warm evergreen growing.>

& later Sharon McAllister - posted that it shows up in pedigrees of
LATIN TEMPO & SOSTENIQUE.

& Greer Holland commenting on a talk by Keith Keppel said:
<- Tangerine beards trace to I. Kashmiriana.>

& Joan Wilhelm cited the The Cornell Extension Bulletin #112, dated June
1925 as saying that Kashmiriana has a  lemon fragrance.

& most recently, this sad post, even sadder now, in September, 1999,
from Jan Jacobsen, Denmark:

<This iris (I. kashmiriana) was offered for sale this year from a
nursery in Kashmir, but due to the war going on, the owner of the
nursery was killed and no one to take over, but it would probably have
been without any sense doing so.
As the name suggest this iris come from Kashmir, Afghanistan and other
closeby areas.  The plant is aprx 60 -100cm tall, 2-5 flowers white
tinged blue/purple flowers 10-12 cm in diameter.  The iris is also known
as I.bartonii.  Natural habitat is 2500-3500 meters abve sea.>

Hardly what I would call a Mediterranean climate.  Something tells me
its native habitat in the mountains of Afghanistan has probably been
blown sky high by now.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help