Re: SPEC: kashmiriana

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] SPEC: kashmiriana
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:00:00 -0700

> From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>
> I obtained I. kashmiriana from Lowell Baumunk. The plant bloomed
> for me this spring, but it was much shorted than I expected especially
> considering that it is the purple variety. I never got around to asking
> him the origins of this clone or how certain the identification is.

Ken,

I got my I. kashmiriana from Linda Mann in 2000, and when it bloomed this
spring, the stalk was rather short (17") and the flowers were on the
smallish side, too. However, newly planted irises often put up stalks that
are far short of their typical height the first year they bloom here. I
presume I have the "purple" variety, though I would describe the bloom as a
blue-violet bitone. Given that chromosome counts of 44 have been reported
for I. kashmiriana, has anyone considered that it might be a form of I.
germanica that has wandered off the beaten track, like its neighbor, I.
nepalensis? A germanica with 14 buds, such as Bill Shear mentions, would be
quite a novelty, however. And speaking of dormant, this iris so nearly
disappeared last winter that I thought I had lost it (also, a most
un-germanica like trait), but it came back and bloomed this spring.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2vN8tD/_pSDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM