SPEC: kashmiriana & late local similar

  • Subject: SPEC: kashmiriana & late local similar
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:34:09 -0500

Finally got into the right file by using the monthly directory...

From a post I made while they were in bloom (May 10):
<Kashmiriana and #4 [photo of the local late bloomer] have the most
similar blooms, but Kashmiriana is about half the height of #4, and
falls are proportioned shorter than falls on #4.

[Both are neglectas].  K. is more pigmented than the other[s] [somewhat
similar flowers with posted photos].  The standards have more pigment on
Kashmiriana than #4.....  Standards on #4 are an unusual grayed lavender

# 4 also has oddly shaped falls that are held horizontally - the hafts
are elongated and straight, then flare out at the ends, while falls
on.... [kashmiriana]... enlarge more gradually  from the haft to the end
and hang more at a 45 degree angle.

......  #4 [is] a bit more branched [than pallida], but still in the
upper part of the stalk.
Kashmiriana branches from the base, has more branches and more buds.>

One additional bit of information about #4 - it has been successfully
growing and blooming in and next to a shallow roadside ditch, heavily
shaded by privet and other fence row shrubs & trees, buried in leaf
litter.  The location is at the crest of a small rise, so water doesn't
stand in the ditch, which is cleared out by a road grader every so
often.  The soil here is acid clay weathered from shale.  In my garden
rows, it is out in the middle of an open field, on rich, gravelly/rocky
colluvial outwash.  Widely adaptable <g>?

These are such late blooming species/varieties, they might not have been
used in hybridizing as much as some of the more main season bloomers
(??).  I tried to set seeds with mixed pollen on #4 this year with no
success (means little since I had hardly any pods this year despite a
zillion attempted crosses), but didn't try to set seeds on kashmiriana.

The blooms on these two are so similar in general appearance and color,
I can't help wonder if #4 is another strain of kashmiriana.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just mail off material with a few $$ to
get chromosome counts & DNA fingerprints?  Maybe John et all can add
that to the electronic checklist information <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!