Re: Re: SPEC: kashmiriana, reichenbachii

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: SPEC: kashmiriana, reichenbachii
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 08:21:53 -0700

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
> Interesting additional info - thanks Bill Shear.
> The clone of kashmiriana growing here came from the Spoons at
> Winterberry Gardens. I posted a photo of it and some
> similar blooms this year.  It is not tall here either, Jeff.  It is a
> late bloomer.

The photo you posted of your kashmiriana matches the appearance of the one
you sent to me under that name. Curiously, the description of kashmiriana
provided by both Dykes and Shull in their books is of a much paler, almost
whitish flower - presumably what now goes by the name of kashmiriana alba
or Kashmir White (?). The neglecta form appears to match what was
origianally described as "I. bartoni", whose type location, of all places,
is given as a ditchbank outside of Kandahar, Afghanistan. Kashmiriana
bloomed late midseason here, almost exactly coinciding with the bloom of I.
variegata 'Beardsley', which you also sent me last year. You sent a second
clone of variegata, as well, labeled 'Ebenthal' - this one did not bloom
for me in 2001, but perhaps it is the one whose name you couldn't recall in
the message you posted yesterday.

> However, the somewhat similar looking late blooming 'weed' that grows
> everywhere here is quite tall for such a small flowered beastie.
>  Jeff, did I send you a start of this one too?

No, I don't have one that answers to that description. However, you did
also send me two forms of reichenbachii. One - I think this may be the one
that you posted pictures of to Iris Photos in the spring - had larger
flowers, but only terminal buds. The other, which was labeled as coming
from Ian Efford, had smaller flowers, but had a branch as well as the
terminal buds. Both of these reichenbachii's have increased almost
alarmingly over the summer.

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout