Re: SPEC: Kashmiriana, variegata etc

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: Kashmiriana, variegata etc
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:11:03 -0500

Jeff Walters said:

<The neglecta form appears to match what was   origianally described as
"I. bartoni", whose type location, of all places,   is given as a
ditchbank outside of Kandahar, Afghanistan. >

What a riot!  I. kashmiriana, the ditchbank iris - Kingston, Tennessee,
& Kandahar, Afghanistan.  Who would have thought when we were first
talking about I. kashmiriana a few years back that we would all know
where Kandahar is....Thanks Jeff.

<Kashmiriana  bloomed late midseason here, almost exactly coinciding
with the bloom of I. variegata 'Beardsley', which you also sent me last
year. You sent a second  clone of variegata, as well, labeled 'Ebenthal'
- this one did not bloom    for me in 2001, but perhaps it is the one
whose name you couldn't recall in   the message you posted yesterday.>

Yes, Ebenthal is the other variegata I have.  It's generally not as
vigorous here as Beardsley (I checked my notes to make sure).

I believe my 'ditchbank' kashmiriana looking iris (the one I called #4
in the earlier posts) blooms later than Winterberry kashmiriana & the I.

<However, you did also send me two forms of reichenbachii. One - I think
this may be the one that you posted pictures of to Iris Photos in the
spring - had larger
  flowers, but only terminal buds. The other, which was labeled as
  from Ian Efford, had smaller flowers, but had a branch as well as the
 terminal buds. Both of these reichenbachii's have increased almost
alarmingly over the summer.>

Jeff, both of the reichenbachiis came from Ian Efford - as far as I
know, only one (the one in the photo I posted) has survived here.  Good
to hear that both have done well for you.  I don't remember branching on
the one pictured, but I didn't look closely.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout