Re: CULT: Why do some stay green

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Why do some stay green
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:44:06 -0500

<Praises of Dusky Challenger make me envious.  I had one that I babied
for five years.  I never got a decent flower from it, and the clump
wasn't much either.  Problem:  It always bloomed late, so that the buds
cooked before they opened.  It bloomed out last year, and I will not
replace it.  Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>

I was astonished the first time I heard someone had problems with DC,
but found that it sometimes hasn't done all that well for me either when
I moved pieces of it from its original location, where it is partially
sheltered by an open shed.  It doesn't do all that well in my gravelly
rows where it gets baked in the late season heat & semi-drought and it
sometimes rots out in the more clayey beds where I don't keep the weeds
under control.  But I do love it.

< Linda, I know you are especially fond of DUSKY CHALLENGER so I'll pass
on   this observation.  While I was at Alvaton, one of my self-appointed
  tasks was to walk through the garden to see which varieties showed the
most   "winter presence."  I don't remember all of the results, but I
can tell you  that every time I said, "Wow, look at that one!" it was
DC.  I did this for   several years.  And people thought I was crazy
looking at irises in the    winter!    Betty from BG KY USA Zone 6 >

Winter is the only time I can be outdoors without respiratory allergens,
plus it is so interesting seeing what the little iris children are up to
thru the winter!  Not crazy at all <g>.  Mine are currently buried under
weeds (I didn't get around to Roundup all thru that dry weather -
kicking myself!) and the foliage that was severely damaged by hard
freezes before all this warm weather came is now rotting away in all the
rain we're finally having.  Some are putting up nice healthy green
'winter nubbins' that they will carry thru the winter, with the older,
damaged foliage rotting off.  Some are questioning why they are here &
are saying their prayers.  Some are determined to just keep going in
spite of having the upper halves of their leaves frozen & rotting.

I am still planning on taking notes on what has done really well out of
the last batches of trials.....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!