TB: A Decade of Dykes in MS

  • Subject: TB: A Decade of Dykes in MS
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:11:43 -0600

On 11 Dec 01, at 15:44, Linda Mann wrote:

> <Praises of Dusky Challenger make me envious.  I had one that I babied for
> five years.  I never got a decent flower from it, and the clump wasn't
> much either.  Problem:  It always bloomed late, so that the buds cooked
> before they opened.  It bloomed out last year, and I will not replace it.
> Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9>

   Of all of the Dykes' winners for the last decade, DC is the only
consistent show stalker in the bunch in my garden.  If it has a
fault, it is that it likes to be divided annually, but it gives show
stalks at registered height on one year plants anyway. DC does so
well in Middle Tennessee that in one of the shows there is a special
trophy for the best DC.  I cannot remember if it is Nashville or
Lebanon that has this. The second best of the Dykes' Medal winners
for the decade for me is STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.   EDITH WOLFORD,
SILVERADO, HONKY TONK BLUES, and BEFORE THE STORM  are inconsistent
performers if they survive the first year. (Of this inconsistent
performer group, only SILVERADO remains in my garden).  HELLO
DARKNESS blooms out, and YAQUINA BLUE has bloomed only once on a
runted stalk after being here three or four years.  CONJURATION and
THORNBIRD have been discarded because of their obvious faults, one
because of lack of proportion and the other for being totally
unattractive.  Your assessment may be different, but that's how these
irises stack up here.  It may be different five miles down the road
or five hundred miles away, and I fully understand that.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Promise to Quit
Nicotrol will help