RE: Re: HYB: Seedlings sprouting

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Seedlings sprouting
  • From: "Dana Brown" <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:47:39 -0600

What I did was soak the seeds for 10 days in frequently changed water (the
toilet tank).  Then I dampened paper towels and rolled the seeds into them
like a burrito.  Then I tucked them into a sandwich bag (not the zipper
kind, and not freezer bags) and tucked them into the fridge for a couple of
In the past I have skipped the soaking and just put them into the fridge in
dampened paper towels.  This was supposed to give them the chill that they
needed and the dampened paper towels kept them moist and started working on
that germination inhibition factor.  This year we added the soaking time, to
help wash the GI factor away.  What I got was seeds sprouting in the burrito
roll of paper towel material.  Surprise, surprise!!
I then planted all of the seeds, sprouted and not sprouted and covered them
with a thin layer of soil.  My worry is that those little tiny sprouts might
be susceptible to freeze damage.  After reading the answers to my posting I
decided not to take a chance.  When the temperature outside is supposed to
dip below 30 I move them into the shop.  Warmer than outside, cooler than
the greenhouse.  Since we are heading for a cold spell of several days I
have moved them on into the greenhouse, which is allowed to get down to
about 40 degrees at night.  We will see what happens.

Dana Brown
Malevil Gardens
Pres. South Plains Iris Society
AIS Region 17, MIS, ASI, RIS, TBIS