Re: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: Re: After Irises, what then?
  • From: "rshadlow" <rshadlow@wildmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:07:34 -0000

Hi Tom,

I can certainly understand your reluctance to have other plants
besides Iris.  I have a few suggestions that might work.  The
chickens are a tough hurdle, but some plants are easy enough to
propigate that shear numbers might help you out.

One idea is a Malva named Zembrina.  It is fairly tall, sometimes up
to three feet, but generally around 24".  It is heat and drought
tolerant.  It flowers one a stalk, and is related to Hollyhocks.  I
have grown it in both full sun and a good amount of shade.  It is an
annual, but it reseeds itself quite happily.  The flowers are a light
purple with streaks of dark from the centers.  I did pick some seeds
oof my plants this fall ir you'd like to try it.

Another choice for later bloom is Echinicea.  This is a daisy type
flower with pink petals.  The Magnus variety has a deeper purple
coloration.  This plant is a perennial, but also spreads quickly.
Rabbits do like it, but it is a sturdy plant, and usually survives
being eaten to the ground.  It will tolerate the heat well.

I also have been very happy with the dwarf blue Delphiniums.  The are
about 12" to 18" tall and bloom several times over the summer.  The
come in a true genetian blue, and do not require stalking.  They do
well through the heat of summer here.

Hope that helps.  (Personally, I agree with you, extending your
season with rebloomers is a great way to go!)

Zone 4b  Nebraska

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!