Re: OT- Chat: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT- Chat: After Irises, what then?
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:04:37 -0600

On 13 Dec 01, at 12:35, Tom Greaves wrote:

> My wife is on my case to take up other gardening interests
> besides irises.  We live on 4 acres near Dallas, TX (zone 7)
> and she is afraid that I'm going to fill the whole property
> with just irises.
>
> So I'm hoping that there are people here who have gardening
> interests that go outside irises that they can share with
> me.  I'd like to grow plants that flower in the other
> seasons besides spring.  I am also planting reblooming
> irises, but need something else too.

    It seems daylilies would be one of the obvious suggestions.

   Flowering shrubs including loropetalum and the divine banana shrub
 (michelia fuscata).  There are many new crape myrtles ranging from violet,
lavender, and pink to shades of red.  With proper rainfall or
additional watering, they'll be in bloom until a frost gets them.

    Gomphrena is my favorite annual.  The ones I planted in April are
still in bloom today.  Even in the driest of weather the leaves have
remained green.  For longevity, they beat zinnias and petunias.
Speaking of petunias, my Mexican petunia with its bamboo-like stems
is still foliated and has a scattering of blooms on sunny days.  I
have not found it to be invasive as some have suggested.  In shady
areas, I have black shamrock and iron cross oxalis currently in
bloom.  Both have tiny pink blooms.

Good luck!

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA