Re: OT - After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT - After Irises, what then?
  • From: "D. Patterson" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:45:15 -0800

Tom Greaves wrote:
> My wife is on my case to take up other gardening interests
> besides irises.  We live on 4 acres near Dallas, TX (zone 7)
> and she is afraid that I'm going to fill the whole property
> with just irises.
> So I'm hoping that there are people here who have gardening
> interests that go outside irises that they can share with
> me.  I'd like to grow plants that flower in the other
> seasons besides spring.  I am also planting reblooming
> irises, but need something else too.
> My special requirements are:
> 1.  Summer temperatures go above 100 degrees F. (I use drip
> irrigation then)
> 2.  Winter temps can get down to 10 degrees.
> 3.  Black rot on roses is uncontrollable, so they are out.
> 4.  My chickens, ducks and geese have free range over the
> property and they have a tremendous appetite for tender
> green plants.
> HELP!!

Christmas cactus? <grin>...

Here are a few ideas to get you started with your search:

Belamcanda chinensis (Blackberry Lily)
Coreopsis (Tickseed)
Dietes (African Iris) (microclimate 15 degrees)
Gaillardia grandiflora (Mexican Blanketflower)
Guara lindheimeri (Guara)
Helenium autumnale (Helen's Flower)
Iris unguicularis (Winter Iris, Christmas Iris)
Rudbeckia (Coneflower)
Salvia x superba (syn, Salvia nemorosa)
Schizostylis (Kaffir Lily)

Dallas Patterson
USDA Zone 6 Puget Sound, Washington

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.