RE: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] After Irises, what then?
  • From: "Dana Brown" <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:13:57 -0600

Tom,
	Up here in the Panhandle, we grow quite a few things.  Like you, we have
100+ and drop to 10 degrees in the winter.  If you have a lot of black spot
you must be blessed with more rain than we are (17" annually here) but most
of these things should do for you too.  We have crepe myrtles, rose of
sharon, lilacs and desert willow all shrubs/trees which flower.  Daylillies
do wonderfully.  Mexican heather won't winter here but is beautiful in large
pots or in the ground.  We do hostas and bleeding hearts in the shade.  Most
of the ornamental grasses are wonderful and give good bones to a garden in
the winter.  Chrysanthemums are wonderful, producing large bunches of
foliage in summer and blooms in fall.  I use a lot of herbs:  scented
geraniums, parsley, chives, garlic chives, mints of all flavors.  I like
having them close to gates and paths so that you can brush by them and smell
the wonderful scents.
	I have 35 large containers that we fill with a mix of perennials and
annuals every year.  So, if you want more email me privately and I will be
happy to help <G>.

Dana Brown
Malevil Gardens
Pres. South Plains Iris Society