Re: OT-PLANTS: Crape Myrtles.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-PLANTS: Crape Myrtles.
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:02:44 -0600

On 13 Dec 01, at 19:27, BigAlligator@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/13/01 3:11:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> wmoores@watervalley.net writes:
>
> << There are many new crape myrtles ranging from violet,
>  lavender, and pink to shades of red.  >>
>
> Walter,
>       Crape Myrtles are wonderful, and should be great for Tom's area.
>       Down
> here, I have gone Crape Myrtle crazy.  I even have white Crape Myrtles.
> Do you cut yours back?  I am letting all of mine grow as trees.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> BigAlligator@aol.com
> Dunnellon, Florida.

   No, I do not cut back the crapes.  Most people around here give them
three 'canes' and let them grow as trees.  There is some mild pruning but no
real cutting back.  To me the bark is as interesting as the bark on River Birch.

  Crapes grow well all over the south and into West Texas.  There long bloom
season is a definite attribute too.

  Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Promise to Quit