OT:PLANTS

  • Subject: OT:PLANTS
  • From: Gordon & Loraine Nicholson <iris4u@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:59:06 -0800

Hello All, In our visits to the "big" boys in Oregan we noticed that
Schreiners has many colorful things growing behind there iris (in show
garden) including lupin, violas, poppies,etc. There are many types of
bushs that form barriers thruout the garden. There are also large
expanses of lawn.  Cooleys is more subdued with trees forming backdrops
and a wonderful waterwheel and I think a giant cement form that looks
like a butterfly to me, it is raised and each wing is planted in
different colors of iris and things. All the smaller gardens in the
great northwest have unique plants and growing arrangements that are
always enjoyable to visit. We use crepe myrtles and butterfly bush here
in the central valley of California because of the wonderful colors and
its heat tolerance. Our crepes are mostly trees, did experiment with
making a butterfly trees, it worked well as long as they are staked.
Hope this has been helpful to the person asking for garden help.
Lorraine in Modesto Cal. zone 9, got 1/2 inch rain last night

Break free. Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3vN8tD/.pSDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM