Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 15:58:45 -0500

Thanks for the details Dana.  Sounds like your experiment is working
better than mine.  Out of the first batch of seeds, only one seedling is
visible - it is around 3 inches tall now, with several leaves.  The
other seedling vanished before it really got growing.  This first batch
suffered being forgotten several times (too long in the toilet tank &
possibly not long enough in the fridge), plus I'm having a lot of
remodeling done at the moment and they got moved around quite a bit as
they were germinating (highly inconsistant temperatures and probably too
much water).  Two seeds germinated after the day they were near the wood
stove while the heat pump was off due to doors & walls being open and
temps got near 80.  None germinated after that day.  Then there was the
Clorox bromine/chlorine toilet tank bowl bleach that I forgot was in
there during the soaking process.

So I'm working on the second batch, no tank bowl bleach, paying closer
attention to the calendar, using your method of damp burrito paper
towels rather than directly into damp potting mix in the fridge.  Surely
in two months, the remodeling will be long over and forgotten and I can
start them off in potting mix in my brand new unheated sunroom (whee!).
Two months will be mid Feb & I will be able to easily get them outdoors
with protection by sometime in early March.

So, Dana, did you unwrap a burrito in exactly 2 months and see
germinating seeds or did you sneak a peek at them now and then?  Did all
your crosses have a few seeds germinating?  I stood all the baggie
wrapped burritos on end in an empty open cottage cheese container.  Did
you unwrap and rewater yours during the two months?

I remain suspicious that these late-blooming crosses may need warmer
temperatures to start germinating than they will get in the fridge.  Or
maybe they need longer chilling.  Or both.  I need more information....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.