Re: SPEC: kashmiriana/bartonii

  • Subject: Re: SPEC: kashmiriana/bartonii
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:23:20 -0500

Lots of information & confusion to chew on.

Sharon McAllister said:
<Baker [1892] presented I. bartonii & I. kashmiriana separately, noting
origin of the specimens.

Dykes' [1913] classified the "Indian Pogoniris Group" by physical
characteristics.  He remarked that "There seems no good reason for
separating from I. kashmiriana Foster's I. bartoni."  >

And Clarence Mahan (forwarded by Bill Shear) said:
<Re irises from Afganistan, Dykes wrote in 1918, that F. Denis disagreed
with Dykes on considering I. bartonii as merely a synonym for I.
kashmiriana. Denis
said he was able to self I. bartonii, and it grew true from seed.  Dykes
 that I. bartonii is a smaller plant than I. kashmiriana, and that "the
original plants of Bartonii came from Kandahar, and M. Denis tells me
that others which I have received from Quetta and Abbottabad are
slightly different forms and that all three reproduce themselves
approximately true from seeds when self-fertilise, and remain distinct
from I. kashmiriana.">

All of which leads me to infer that more than one type of iris was being
grown by iris lovers (either different species or chromosome counts),
presumably, enough material to be confused about before this century,
including at least a tall one and a short one.  I can't help but wonder
if my tall kasmiriana look-alike might actually be an old form of
kashmiriana bartonii.  It is certainly different in height from the
kashmiriana that I got from the Spoons at Winterberry Gardens.

Mike Lowe, are you eavesdropping?  I sent some of this to you at the
same time I sent SURRENDER.  Did it live & bloom?  Very late blooming
here - in the shade, the last iris of all the bearded ones.

Sharon, Bill, Clarence, others.. does the information you've seen about
kashmiriana/bartonii mention a short and tall version of neglecta like
the photos we've posted?  Or are they other colors?  The irises that
grow 'wild' in poor rural areas around here are one form each of
germanica (very early), pallida (early), Honorabile (or a form of
variegata that looks just like it)(mid to late) and this thing (very
late).  It wouldn't surprise me if this turns out to be another form of
kashmiriana/bartonii IF this species was a passalong plant in this
country as early as the 1800s or more recently.  Anybody know if it was?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8