Re: SPEC: kashmiriana/bartonii

I have paraphrased most of these descriptions to fit the CL format that most
of our members are accustomed to:

BAKER [1892]:

Of I. bartonii -- standards pure white, creamy white, fragrant; falls white
tinged with green, veined with purple on the haft.

Of I. kashmiriana -- pure white, beard white tipped with yellow.

DYKES [1913]:

He found no basis for separating the I. bartonii and I. kashmiriana, but
offered a few comments on color.

Of I. bartonii -- "which I have grown and flowered ... has a very long beard
(1 in.) on the haft of the standards....  It should be noticed that the
Botanical Magazine figure of I. Bartoni does not show any purple markings on
the blade of the falls.  These occur on the typical plant but, as Foster
records in his notes, they are variable.  I have noticed similar variations
in plants of I. kashmiriana which I have received direct from Kashmir."

Of I. kashmiriana:  standards white, faintly veined with yellow on the short
haft and at the base of the blade; falls creamy white, sometimes slightly
tinged with blue,  greenish-yellow veins reaching to the end of the beard.

DOUGLAS [1947]:  "our white iris of today are often traceable to I.
kashmiriana a creamy-white species from Kashmir."

RANDOPLH [1951]: reported that Foster had three color forms of I.
kashmiriana, one of which was pure white.

MATHEW [1981]:

Classifies I. bartonii as a synonym of I. kashmiriana.

Of I. kashmiriana:  either white or pale lilac-blue, with a dense beard of
white, yellow-tipped hairs.

KOHLEIN [1981]:

Lists I. bartonii as a synonym of I. kashmiriana.

Of I. kashmiriana --  the true species has white blossoms ... there is also a
lavender-colored form, which should not be mistaken for an I. germanica from
found in Kashmir, which has light violet-blue blossoms with poor substance.

INNES [1985]:

Classifies I. bartonii as a synonym of I. kashmiriana.

Of I. kashmiriana:  white or tinged blue-purple; veined yellowish at the base
of the standards, veined yellowish-green at the base of the blade and into
the haft of the falls; beard white, tipped yellow.

Now for a major source of some of the confusion....  The 1939 CL lists
Bartoni as probably a form of I. kashmiriana, with two codes for two
different sources:  W8 [white feathered red-violet] and R1 [very pale
red-violet].  I. kashmiriana itself was coded B3M.  This is the earliest
reference I've found to the neglecta pattern [I don't have a copy of the '29

All of which serves to emphasize the need to check the base of the standards
for those telltale hairs.

Sharon McAllister

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.