HYB: Seeds sprouting

  • Subject: HYB: Seeds sprouting
  • From: "Robert Miles" <milesrf@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:57:30 -0500

I remember reading someone's ideas on how plants and tiny animals can
survive freezing temperatures.  They went like this:

At freezing temperatures, water begins to separate from the liquids inside
each cell and freeze.  The ice is normally shaped so that it becomes long
and thin, and grows mainly at the ends.  If this ice pierces the wall of the
cell, the cell dies.  One method of avoiding this is to have so much of
some chemical that attracts water that the temperature has to be much
below freezing to allow much water to separate and freeze.  Another uses
a chemical that slows the growth at the long ends but allow the sides to
grow, so that much more water can freeze before the crystal gets large
enough in any direction to pierce the cell wall.  A third method requires
that removing the heat so fast that the water cannot move around much
before it freezes; this method normally requires human help.

This could mean that irises are good at producing some chemical of the
second type.