RE: Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting
  • From: "Dana Brown" <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:01:29 -0600

Linda,
	No, it wasn't exactly 2 months, it was 2 months plus however long it took
to work it into my schedule after that.  Maybe another 10 days or so.
	As for peeking no I didn't.  Actually, I had intended to watch them a
little more closely and forgot them.  I stuck them in the spare refrigerator
in the space for storing butter in the door.  I remembered to pull them out
once about half way through and check for mold (from the paper towels being
too damp) or for them drying out, in which case I would have misted them.
When I got there the moisture content seemed to be about perfect so I just
stuck them back in the butter space and went on my way.
	No, all of the crosses did not have seeds germinating.  Although treated
identically even seeds within a cross went from having 1/2" of sprout to
none.
	I would worry that standing them on end would cause the moisture to head
for the bottom of the paper towel, you might want to rotate which end is
down every so often.
	I almost wish that these germinated like marigolds, but if they did think
how many of them there would be out there....!

Dana Brown
Malevil Gardens
Pres. South Plains Iris Society
AIS Region 17, MIS, ASI, RIS, TBIS