RE: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] After Irises, what then?
  • From: "Dana Brown" <ddbro@llano.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:19:10 -0600

Jim,
	Sorry to take so long to answer this but due to Christmas decorations all
of my plant information had been "Put Away" and it took a while to dig it
out <G>.  I am afraid the information may not be all that you could ask for.
The lilacs were one of the first things we planted here many years ago and
have grown very slowly.  However they do all bloom reliably and 3 of them
will rebloom for me in the fall.  Anyway what I know is that one of them is
syringa vulgaris, no variety listed, the name on the tag is (ready for this)
"Old Fashioned Purple Lilac".  The other three came from Jackson and Perkins
and were listed as "French Lilacs".  These 3 have grown faster, and bloomed
earlier and longer than the "Old Fashioned"".  They are named "French Blue",
"Pure White", and "Royal Purple". LOLOLOL!!!  So much for any help from that
area.  The one problem I do have here with the lilacs is that they will drop
their leaves in late summer when it gets really hot and dry.  It takes
massive (to me) amounts of water to keep them green.  The good news is that
when it cools off they will rebloom, lightly, for me.  Nothing like a lilac
bloom in October to smell up your house!!

Dana Brown
Malevil Gardens
Pres. South Plains Iris Society
AIS Region 17, MIS, ASI, RIS, TBIS
Lubbock, TX  USA
Zone 7 USDA, Zone 10 Sunset
mailto:ddbro@llano.net

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM