Re: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] After Irises, what then?
  • From: "D. Patterson" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:01:39 -0800

Dana Brown wrote:

> They are planting vitex up and down our highways here, I hope they do as
> well as the one in the yard.  We have friends with a vitex that is taller
> than their house with a canopy big enough to dance under <G>.  Beautiful
> tree/bush that readily attracts butterflies.
>
> Dana Brown
> Malevil Gardens
> Pres. South Plains Iris Society
> AIS Region 17, MIS, ASI, RIS, TBIS
> Lubbock, TX  USA
> Zone 7 USDA, Zone 10 Sunset
> mailto:ddbro@llano.net

Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste Tree, Monks' Pepper Tree) is reportedly a
Southern European deciduous shrub that grows to sizes of 20 feet or 6
meters in height and width in USDA Zones 7b-10. It has been used as a
gynecological herbal medicine for more then 2,000 years. It is commonly
named the Chaste Tree, due to its use as an herbal remedy for reducing
sexual desire.

Besides the tall Vitex agnus-castus, there is also the low growing Vitex
rotundifolia (Round-leaf Vitex, Beach Vitex), a USDA Zones 8-10 shrub up
to 18 inches or 45cm in height and a rapid spreader. The flowers are
carried on short blue-purple spikes that produce bluish-black fruits. It
is native to Hawaii, the Pacific Ocean islands, Australia, and Asia. So,
our Australian friends may be well acquainted with this plant.

Both of these plant species require sufficient heat and water to perform
well.

Dallas Patterson
nye@fidalgo.net

Unlimited PC-PC calling at Crystal Voice! - Only $1/Mo.
Download your free 30 day trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gb1xVB/GxbDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM