OT-Plants: After buddleias and vitex then back to irises.

  • Subject: OT-Plants: After buddleias and vitex then back to irises.
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 07:57:20 +1100

>Vitex agnus-castus (Chaste Tree, Monks' Pepper Tree)

>is native to Hawaii, the Pacific Ocean islands, Australia, and Asia. So,
>our Australian friends may be well acquainted with this plant.

I have seen this plant in the supermarket nursery and the leaf form aroused
my interest, but I know very little about it. It sounds as if it might be a
nice tree to create a hedge with, mixed with buddleias, and the like.
We have just ripped out 30m of blackberries and gorze (furze) along our back
boundary, so that we could put in a new fence. I am hoping that heavy duty
weed mat, and a lot of mulch, will suppress further growth. I intend to
plant some fast growing bushy shrubs to fill the bare spot.

Now that the fence has been built, and I have 7 weeks off, from teachiung
piano, I can put my new rotary hoe to good use preparing some long raised
beds for my irises, which are now growing weary of living in pots.
The ground here is still moist enough to work with, and I will be ordering
bags of powdered, well rotted sheep manure to work into it, along with
gypsum, lucerne cubes, and superphosphate. Perhaps a little mushroom
The irises that I have already planted in the ground seem to be doing
alright, but it is still a bit soon after bloom, to say for sure.

I still have bloom on THRILLER, TOMORROW's CHILD, COURT MARTIAL, and a few
buds still trying.
Also some very nice bloom on two seedlings - One is a brownish maroon
plicata from ROSARITA X HE MAN and the other a deep wine red bi-tone with
lovely bronze caterpillar beards, from SUPREME SULTAN X LONDON LORD. Both
very pretty form but too soon to know much about their growth habits, bud
count, etc.

Cheers, Jan Clark, in Aus, zone sort of 8 & 1/2 ish

Unlimited calling with 3-way conferencing. Only $1/Mo.
with CrystalVoice! FREE trial. Click Here.