Re: After Irises, what then?

  • Subject: Re: After Irises, what then?
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:55:02 -0000

I have offered seeds from some of my favorite companion plants to
other iris-talkers, and I think they'd work in your climate as well.

Some supersize Shasta Daisies, which bloom from midsummer to late
fall.  Tough and clean and lovely.  And some single hollyhocks that
seem to be tougher than the hybrid doubles.  I have pale yellow, hot
pink, rose-red and dark red.  I've offered seeds of these to any who
can use them, and still have plenty if you'd like some.  I just raise
them in peat pots and grow on window sills until time to plant out,
with a rough cold frame to ease the transition.

I also raise snapdragons from seed saved year to year for additional
plants, though snapdragons are perennial here.  I have hot pink and
some wonderful dark red called Black Prince.  And the old super-
fragrant sweet peas.

Let me know if you want any seeds of these.  Just send a stamped,
self-addressed envelope to:

Patricia Brooks
50 N. Main St. #lll
Coupeville, WA 98239

(Whidbey Island, zone 8/9)

--- In iris-talk@y..., Tom Greaves <tomg@i...> wrote:
> My wife is on my case to take up other gardening interests
> besides irises.  We live on 4 acres near Dallas, TX (zone 7)
> and she is afraid that I'm going to fill the whole property
> with just irises.
> So I'm hoping that there are people here who have gardening
> interests that go outside irises that they can share with
> me.  I'd like to grow plants that flower in the other
> seasons besides spring.  I am also planting reblooming
> irises, but need something else too.
> My special requirements are:
> 1.  Summer temperatures go above 100 degrees F. (I use drip
> irrigation then)
> 2.  Winter temps can get down to 10 degrees.
> 3.  Black rot on roses is uncontrollable, so they are out.
> 4.  My chickens, ducks and geese have free range over the
> property and they have a tremendous appetite for tender
> green plants.
> HELP!!

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!