Re: Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: Seeds sprouting
  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:12:07 -0500

On December 19, 2001 03:23 pm, you wrote:
> Nick wrote about precocious seedlings, but his signature caught my eye...>
>
> > Nick
> > USDA zone 5
> > Cdn Zone 6a [1967 map]
> > Cdn Zone 5b [2000 map]
>
> Nick, is there a glacier or something moving near you? What about global
> warming?

   When they redid the maps last year they added some new factors. One is
warm weather in January. So I lost 1/2 a zone because it gets too hot during
the winter. It sort of makes sense. The warm temps mean less snow cover which
means the plants get colder. What I don't understand is how we lost 1/2 a
zone but everybody around us didn't. If the city is warmer then us I can
understand that but so are the other places near us. The list of indicator
plants still shows I'm in zone 6. At least it did last time I looked. I'm not
telling the plants-) Supposedly some of the people on the west coast lost two
zones.

Nick

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!