  • Subject: Cult-bloom
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 05:00:21 +1030

Well, here we are at the summer solstice and the weather is just starting to warm up. I can't beleive I've still got TB blooms trailling on. Notorious will still be going for a week or so. Gallent Rogue, Thriller, Montevideo, Leda's Lover, HT Blues still have a bloom or so. Most of my Penny Anne bloomed in Oct but one clump didn't and has decided to head up now. With some my new imports still bloomimg on I've been able to do some late hybridizing. This being the year I was going to do some early forced germination and I've hardly been able to harvest a pod yet.
The weirdest part has been the PCNs, as Oct was actually colder than Sept and Nov wasn't much better, they've been very confused and many rebloomed in in early Dec. Big Wheel has been flowering for a month, still going. The last week I was able to pick a vase of blooms the contained TBs, PCs, Spu, Sib and JI. I just couldn't find and La still flowering. Had them all out in the first week of Dec though. When did you last see a PC and JI out together in the same garden.
At last the daylilies are starting to look good, the cool weather has really slowed them down, but they're magnificent now, just when the display gardens are closing for the season.
Had quite a lot of visitors yesterday with people after daylilies or irises for presents.

Time for our wonderfully relaxed Aussie Christmas with ham, prawns, cherries and strawberries etc. Aussie's are very schizophrenic at Christmas. We all sing Jingle Bells etc, but then plan a wonderful summer meal. There are a few songs that speak of a hot Christmas, rather than snow, but not many.

We wish you a very blessed CHristmas and a safe holiday
And remember "Jesus is the reason for the season"

Have a wonderful time
Colleen Modra
South Aust
zone 9