REB: Christmas irises

  • Subject: REB: Christmas irises
  • From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:04:12 -0800 (PST)

It's not just Australia that will have irises for Christmas! I have four reblooming still - AUTUMN CIRCUS, SEA FLUFF, AGAIN AND AGAIN, and ETERNAL BLISS. The last two have had a flower out almost constantly since mid-October. We haven't had a really bad night yet - low has been about 28. Not typical for this area or time of year. This is supposed to be Zone 6, but it's more like Zone 9 this year.

AGAIN AND AGAIN had the best branching and bud count. ETERNAL BLISS had a tendency to throw multiple stalks from the same rhizome this year, tho it has not done this in the past. I have one stalk on CAMEO BLUSH (BB) which I don't expect to make it before it freezes, but an earlier stalk in October looked good. This seems to have a tendency to overbud (if that's a word) on rebloom, with lots of crowded buds per stalk. It had a normal stalk with good branching this year.

Non-starter here has been FOREVER BLUE (SDB), which has not tried to rebloom. I know it has for someone in DE, but it hasn't given constant bloom like Chuck Chapman sees.

I have a couple stalks just starting now on HALLOWEEEN HALO. Although this is listed as a Zone 6 rebloomer, it never has for me. I have had stalks get frozen out several years, though. I would think if I was to see rebloom on it, this would be the year due to the extended season. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it only an occasional rebloomer this far north, or is it only good for rebloom in more temperate zones?

Vince Lewonski

Secane, PA

Zone 6b (normally!!!)

Best holiday wishes, and may Santa bring you a tiller...

Do You Yahoo!?
Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.