Transfering genes

  • Subject: Transfering genes
  • From: Martin Weber <martweb@gmx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:06:46 +0100

Everyone who crosses modern TB wants to introduce something new although
you have to do a lot of crosses to achieve for example a better red. But
isn't there an other way? TB crosses readily with I. pumila, Oncocyclus,
Regelia and I. tectorum. So what about these genes, wouldn't it be
interesting to transfer some of them to modern TB?
Over 50 years ago a lot of crosses have been made between black currant
and gooseberry. The direct crosses lead to sterile hybrides but using
Colchicine amphidiploid hybrides could be achieved that were fertile. If
backcrossed to diploid black currant triploid nearly sterile plants were
achieved that could be further backcrossed again with black currant.
Because of the distorted meisosis a part of the genes were lost, not
only those from the gooseberry but also a part of the black currant
genes. The result were normal fertile diploid hybrides that were mainly
black currant but also had a gene from gooseberry inside. So why not try
the same with Iris?
When you cross a triploid Iris with (12+12+x) with a diploid Iris
(12+12) for
example I. reichenbachii a part of the genes could get lost in the
mesiosis and it would be possible to transfer some genes to modern TB.
What is the main problem? Because of the distorted meiosis you have to
make a large number of crosses but will only achieve a very small number
of seedlings. x can be 8 (I. pumila), 10 (Oncocylus) or 11 (Regelia).
My question is: Does anyone know if already similar experiments have
been done? Secondly I want to ask all of you to take part and do this
kind of crosses. And if you do please tell me about your plans and your

Merry Xmas
Martin (martweb@gmx.net)

Access Your PC from Anywhere - Full setup in 2 minutes - Free Download