pbrooks@whidbey.net

  • Subject: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:11:21 EST

In a message dated 12/25/2001 3:34:05 PM Central Standard Time,
pbrooks@whidbey.net writes:

<< So I plan to use both whites and yellows in my '02
 hybridizing and will report on the results.

Patricia, I know you are good about doing your research so you probably know
this, but there must be pink in the background of the whites and yellows for
you to get 1st generation pinks.  This is what Ben Hager told me several
years ago--about the last year he put out a price list.

My personal experience seems to validate this information.  For instance, I
crossed Paradise by Immortality and got either white or yellow seedlings.
Some bitone yellow.  (Wish I'd saved some) I don't remember the beard colors
on these.  Other similar crosses gave the same results.

So check into the pedigrees of your whites & yellows, if you want 1st
generation pinks.

I've got seed in the pots (2001 seed) that will be fun.  I made this cross
from seedlings.  9415-1Re X 9525-3.  This translates into ((((Victoria Falls
x Vanity) x Immortality) x (Latest Style x Glistening Icicle) X (Feedback x
Champagne Elegance)).  My hope is that the Champagne Elegance (reblooming
pink/buff amoena with Peach Spot background) will play to Vanity and produce
some interesting seedlings.  Of course, most will probably be white or purple
with a few bitones.  The pink may be too watered down to do this.  It will be
interesting and fun to see the results.

Betty from BG KY USA Zone 6

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM