Re: Dusky Challenger

  • Subject: Re: Dusky Challenger
  • From: "ehenon" <ehenon@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:47:54 -0000

Dusky Challenger has done well in Eastern Connecticut (Zone 6).  It
has done well with an Eastern exposure and with a Southern exposure.
It seems much less fragile than other varieties I have tried.  I
would say DC wants to bloom regardless of conditions.  I would
recommend DC for beginners.

I am very excited about the book "The World of Irises" that Santa
brought for Christmas.  Unfortunately, the genetics chapter went over
my head.  The lesson regarding the characteristics of diploids and
tetraploids is beyond my grasp.  I understand that Snow Flurry was a
breakthrough but I am not sure I understand what happened in the
hybridization process that resulted in Snow Flurry.  Can someone
explain in easy-to-understand terms?

Thank you,