Re: Dusky Challenger

  • Subject: Re: Dusky Challenger
  • From: "ehenon" <ehenon@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:40:34 -0000

Thank you Sharon.  The intriguing story page 62 and the follow up
page 119 lead me to jump to the genetics chapter page 374.  I will
spend more time reading the glossary at the end of the chapter.  Here
is a sample of terms someone with limited biology training would not
understand in the legend of the chart page 379: meiosis, haploid,
diploid, loci, heterozygous, kenetochores, and chromatids.

Here is a list of the irises I own:

AFFAIRE
ANTIGONE
BAHLOO
BEVERLY SILLS
BLUE RHYTHM
DUSKY CHALLENGER
ECLADOR
EGYPTIAN
KILT-LILT
LOOP-THE-LOOP
LOUVOIS
MME. Louis AUREAU
MADAME MAURICE LASSAILLY
MYSTIQUE
PACIFIC PANORAMA
POCAHONTAS
RANCHO ROSE
SNOW FLURRY
STEPPING OUT
VERT GALLANT
WELL ENDOWED

Bahloo seems to be having a hard time this winter.  I am concerned
that it will not survive.

--- In iris-talk@y..., arilbredbreeder@c... wrote:
> In a message dated 12/26/01 7:48:16 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> ehenon@e... writes:
>

> > I am very excited about the book "The World of Irises" that Santa
> > brought for Christmas.  Unfortunately, the genetics chapter went
over
> > my head.  The lesson regarding the characteristics of diploids
and
> > tetraploids is beyond my grasp.  I understand that Snow Flurry
was a
> > breakthrough but I am not sure I understand what happened in the
> > hybridization process that resulted in Snow Flurry.  Can someone
> > explain in easy-to-understand terms?
>
> A brief account is presented on page 62 of TWOI.  Its pod parent,
PURRISSIMA,
> was tetraploid.  Its pollen parent, THAIS, was diploid.  Crosses
like this
> contributed signifiantly to the development of our modern
tetraploid TBs, but
> the offspring are typically triploids.  Once in a while, however,
an
> unreduced gamete results in a tetraploid offspring like SNOW
FLURRY.

> There's a diagram of meiosis on page 379, which shows how haploid
cells are
> normally produced from a diploid cell.   If the Second Cellular
Division
> doesn't occur as shown, the result is an unreduced gamete that has
twice as
> many chromosomes as usual.
>
> The atypical two sets of chromosomes from its diploid parent, added
to the
> two sets from its tetraploid parent, made SNOW FLURRY
a "breakthrough"

http://us.click.yahoo.com/IgTaHA/ZQdDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM