ADMIN: COMP: Viruses

  • Subject: ADMIN: COMP: Viruses
  • From: John Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:04:16 -0800

"R.J. Baynum" wrote:
> And just as a reminder to everyone..
> The attachments were  a Jpeg,..  not to be confused with a EXE file,
> which by way, you should  know, if you understood anything about
> computers in any basic way, is that the only way a virus can spread,
> you first must click on a EXE file.  Secondly, Yahoo Groups already
> Screens for viruses in  all incoming mail on their server as well.  So getting
> a virus is highly unlikely unless your an idiot and you  want to,  and
> asked for one.
> This person does not know anything about computers.. just Irises..
> so Please... disregard the old wives tale...

Unfortunately R.J. you are incorrect on several accounts.

Of course you would have no way of knowing that I have over 25 years of
experience in computer architectures, semiconductor fabrication,
microprocesor design, systems integration, networks and databases.

Secondly: Viruses can arrive in files other that .exe files (for those
of you who do not know what that means, .exe files are PC platform
executable files), specifically there are Macro, Visual Basic, and PDF
file viruses. JPG files would seem to be safe. (But you have to be
careful in Windows environments. Windows can be configured to not
display the final extension of a file so a file that was really
File.jpg.exe might only be displayed as File.jpg and if you clicked on
it, you could be in real trouble.) It is true that most likely you are
safe unless you launch an infected file, althought given the cleverness
of some of the individuals (and I use that term advisedly), that may not
be true forever.

Thirdly: I am not sure that YahooGroups scans for viruses on all their
mail. We have had instances of list members being infected by list mail
(although it was on iris-photos.)

Yahoo says in their help file:
Message attachments are files enclosed within an email. Attachments can
include documents, pictures, programs, or any other computer file.

You should permit message attachments if you are certain that your
members will use this feature responsibly.*Attachments can carry
viruses*, fill up mailboxes quickly, and are unreadable by some mail
programs. If you send a message to a group that does not accept them,
your message will go through but any attachments will be stripped.

Fourthly: Even if YahooGroups did scan for viruses, they can only scan
for those they know about and have virus descriptions for. New viruses
can spread anywhere before the scanning programs can be updated to pick
them up.

Fifthly: I have configured iris-talk to strip off attachments for
several reasons. A: For
*better* virus protection; and B: Because some people do not want to
receive large files over slow modem connections. People who want to
exchange iris pictures do it on iris-photos. If you want a larger
audience to look at your pictures, post a note to iris-talk with the URL
to the iris-photos Mallorn archive where your picture is.

While having disagreements on the list is ok, being impolite and
caustic, or making personal attacks on individuals is not. Your post was
reasonably rude and unwarranted. There are plenty of novices on the
list, and they do not deserve to be called stupid because they have not
learned about viruses yet.

Your attitude not acceptable. Be forewarned. If you continue in that
vein I will either: Put you on No Post - meaning you can read but not
send messages to the list, or I can ban you temporarily or permanently
from the list. I have little patience with those who cannot be polite.

To all you other listers, while I do appreciate your support, try to
resist the temptation to respond to attack messages so that we don't get
into an extended war of words. Please email me privately if you want to
express an opinion on a particular post. That way I can be the one
people can get mad at. (That's ok, it comes with the territory)

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at:
Vice Chairman, Region 14 of the AIS