Re: Can any one tell...about viruses

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Can any one tell...about viruses
  • From: Maj.Öhrström <rcc592h@tninet.se>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 02:35:06 +0100

"R.J. Baynum" wrote:

> And just as a reminder to everyone..
> The attachments were  a Jpeg,..  not to be confused with a EXE file,
> which by way, you should  know, if you understood anything about
> computers in any basic way, is that the only way a virus can spread, you
> first must click on a EXE file.  Secondly, Yahoo Groups already Screens
> for viruses in  all incoming mail on their server as well.  So getting a
> virus is highly unlikely unless your an idiot and you  want to,  and
> asked for one.

Sorry, R.J. Baynum, even not-idiots may get viruses through pictures.  I left Iris-photos just for that reason about a year ago when John first reported viruses sneaking in that way, although
it was heartbreaking to miss all those beautiful irispictures. But as I work a lot with images I can´t afford viruses.
For upgrading again, I checked it up today  with a computering son of mine, and he said there are ways to hide an exe-file inside a "broken" jpg-file, it looks like that broken picturesymbol
you can see on home pages when a picture does not show up, but most probably, you never have a chance to see it that way before some sloppy programmed microsoftproduct accepts it as a real
jpg-file and lets the virus into your computer. Of course I can not reproduce his technical lingua but he mentioned WindowsExplorer 6.0 and Outlook
I think we all should be very, very thankful to John for his stern attitude to attachments on this list.

Maj Ohrstrom, Sweden