OT: Virus, WAS RE: Can any one tell me what this re bloomer is?

  • Subject: OT: Virus, WAS RE: [iris-talk] Can any one tell me what this re bloomer is?
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:59:54 -0500

The extension does not have to be an .EXE to contain a virus.  It could be
.VBS, or .SHS, or .PIF, or .SCR, or .COM, or .BAT, or one of several others.
It may appear to be any extension at all, because the default in Windows is
to hide commonly used file extensions.

Secondly, screening, whether you do it yourself, your ISP does it, Yahoo!
does it, or another party does it is far from being foolproof.  Witness the
several outbreaks that have occurred on the sister list of IRIS-PHOTOS when
payloads were unwittingly uploaded to the list by unsuspecting users.

Thirdly, there are many lists where attachments are banned.  There are even
lists out there that never had the option of using attachments, even before
virus were as common as they are today.  Not being able to upload an
attachment, in my book, is no great loss.  Generally, if I have something
that could be an attachment, I'll upload it to a web site and direct people
there to either view it, or download it, or do nothing at all with it.  The
majority of users connect at 56K or less, and receiving attachments they do
not want or have no interest in can be a burden, especially to those that
have no local ISP number to dial--and they are out there, believe me.  I
know how expensive it can get having to dial a toll number to connect,
though that is not the situation for me now.  Broadband connections serve a
small minority of users, and will not gain in numbers anytime soon., so one
should be mindful of those who do not have the luxury of fast, inexpensive
connections.

A side not to John, our fearless leader here, I am sorry if I am stealing
your thunder.  I did leave the tag question for you though <g>.

\\Steve//