Re:HYB:Colchicine

  • Subject: Re:HYB:Colchicine
  • From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:19:50 -0700

There are so many Iris out there--to use in a breeding program--it would
seem very ridiculous to use something like Colchicine--when you are not
familiar with it--or working with chemicals and using the appropriate safety
devises to protect yourself while working with it.  In years past, I had to
use it in daily work--and I had to gown, rubber apron, heavy rubber gloves,
face mask, eye goggles--and wash down before returning to regular
uniforms--I was always very glad when using it was discontinued--
Is it worth the hazard of really drastically doing some permanent damage to
your body?
Do you know what it does to lungs and livers?

It is not something to just play around with--

Carryl in western Montana zone 3/4--where it is 7 F out there--but about 6"
snow cover--and Iris leaves are still standing up above the snow.