Re: Re:HYB:Colchicine

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:HYB:Colchicine
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:24:25 -0500

On 12/31/01 3:27 PM, "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net> wrote:

> Haven't there been seedlings produced from colchicine induced tetraploids
> before they reverted back to diploids that proved to be stable tetraploids?
> Seems like the value derived from induced tetraploidy might be via this
> route rather than those that had direct treatment of colchicine.  Seems like
> I read this about some of Norris's (or maybe it was Mathes) efforts.
>> What bearded irises have been introduced as a result of colchicine-
>> induced tetraploidy?  Are there such, or were all by natural
>> selection like SNOW FLURRY?

Yes, this is the major way in which colchicine-induced tetraploid mosaics
are used--especially true in Louisiana irises.  Also, keep in mind that some
reputed tetraploids may not be so--SIGNA offered seed of 4N tectorum some
years back, but counts and pollen measurements showed the resulting plants
were diploids.

I do not know of any colchicine-induced tetraploid bearded irises that have
been introduced, but there may be one or two.  Because there were naturally
occurring tetraploid species, induction was never very widely used, if at
all, in bearded irises.  Tetraploids were crossed with each other, or with
diploids in hopes of an unreduced diploid gamete, which seems to have
happened often enough to move the genomes of species like I. pallida and I.
variegata  into the tetraploids.   The whole story is told in the
appropriate chapters of TWOI, for those who are interested in more detail.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (434)223-6374
Moderating e-lists:

"A man thinks as well through his legs and arms as his brain.  We exaggerate
the importance and exclusiveness of the headquarters.  Do you suppose they
were a race of consumptives and dyspeptics who invented Grecian mythology
and poetry?  The poet's words are, "You would almost say the body thought!"
I quite say it.  I trust we have a good body then."  --Henry David Thoreau,
Journals, Dec. 31, 1860.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!