HYB: wide falls?

  • Subject: HYB: wide falls?
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 17:30:34 -0500

More questions...

Catalogs occasionally describe flowers as wide/broad or hafts
touching/nearly touching/overlapping.

I'm on the lookout for some affordable cultivars with broader hafts to
cross with some of my tough oldies.  I've hunted thru catalogs looking
for introductions described as having wide falls/touching hafts and then
did a few pedigrees to see if there were some parents that showed up a
lot, without much luck.

SILVERADO shows up in several.  Farther back, NEW MOON is in several.
Lots of Gatty cultivars show up, but the catalogs I've studied have
mostly westcoast/Oz breeding, so that's not surprising.

Are Gatty cultivars known for wide falls?

Any ideas on which cultivars have made a significant contribution to
wider falls?

Any suggestions/ideas/help appreciated.

Two wide/nearly touching falls that I grow that have produced
pods/pollen are IVORY BLUSH and VIZIER.

Catalogs I've hunted thru so far (Tempo Two, Keppel, Sutton) mention
wide form for these irises:
CHARDONNAY AND ICE, EASY LIVING, FANCY FLIRTING, FRANJELICA, GENTELMAN
JIM, GIVE ME WINGS, IN A KISS, RULING LORD, SOFIA, TWIRL THE KILT (all
Blyth '02) (not exactly affordable yet)
AVONA (Blyth 00)
BRAGGADOCIO (Keppel 97)
CABARET GIRL (Blyth 00)
CAFE BLEU (Blyth 01)
DIGNITY DANCER (Blyth 01)
EXCUSE ME DARLING (Blyth 01)
GAELIC JIG (Blyth 99)
GLITTERATI (Blyth 00)
HIGH MASTER (Blyth 00)
IN THE STARS (Blyth 99)
INTO THE WILDERNESS (Blyth 01)
LILY MY LOVE (Blyth 99)
LIVING FREE (Blyth 99)
LORD OF LETTERS (Blyth 00)
LOVE TO FLIRT (Blyth 00)
MAN ABOUT TOWN (Blyth 98)
MAYBE AN ANGEL (Blyth 98)
NOBLE CONTESSA (Blyth 98)
PAINTED FROM MEMORY (Blyth 00)
PEACE BEGINS (Blyth 00)
PROPOSAL (Blyth 99)
ROMANCER (Blyth 00)
SCOTTISH REEL (Blyth 01)
SET TO MUSIC (Blyth 00)
STRICTLY JAZZ (Blyth 99)
TANGLED WEB (Keppel 99)
WAITING FOR GEORGE (Blyth 97)
ZILLIONAIRE (Blyth 96)
(some of the above are old enough to be affordable, but might be too
expensive unless they are already available in the US)
(several new intros from the Suttons, but I'm getting tired of typing,
so won't list them)
ABIDING JOY (Sutton 97)
CREDIT LINE (Ghio 96)
EAGLE LANDING (Sutton 00)
FOREIGN STATESMAN (Innerst 92) (catalog says 'full purple', but that may
refer to color rather than form?)
GYPSY ROMANCE (Schreiner's 94)
GOOD LOOKING (Schreiner's 95)
GOLDEN IMMORTAL (Sutton 97)
QUEEN ANNE'S LACE (Maryott 98)
BROAD SHOULDERS (Keppel 01)
NEW CENTURY (Grosvenor 99)

Another question entirely whether or not I could grow any of these well
enough here to get viable pollen.  Maybe I can grow them indoors in pots
on my sun porch <g>
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8