Re: HYB: wide falls

FIVE STAR ADMIRAL (the first of its kind ?) has been out since 1974, and we are
having difficulty compiling a list of  others that are 'double-wide.'  Is it because
getting such width is a challenge for hybridizers, or their popularity hasn't caught on
yet?  Is such width 'too much of a good thing?'  Do all irises have to be that wide?
Would a lacy one with such width open properly?  Are these just a passing fashion?

I'm in the middle of the road, and don't think I would want  a garden full of
'fat irises.'  (I'd have to buy more fertilizer).  I like a variety.  On the nightly news, I
hear the term 'morbidly obese' and wonder if tall bearded irises might be headed in
that direction.

I still like to see the identifiable fleur de lis form in an iris.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8