Re: HYB: wide falls, rot thoughts...

Thanks so much for the detailed response, Neil.

And thanks Walter for the reminder about the Roberts seedling.
Unfortunately in that category of unaffordable irises for the moment,
but maybe later.

I was excited to find a start of THUNDER QUAY in the order from Sutton's
this year.

So far it is doing ok.  I cut off one of its increases as part of the
experiment to see if juvenile increases might adjust better/faster to my
growing conditions than mature rhizomes.  It suberized nicely
(practicing using our new technical term <g>), produced lots of new
roots, and seems to be growing well.  I'm optimistic about this one - if
it can suberize as readily as this one did (in contrast to a few others
that didn't), maybe it can suberize other cells & more readily repel the
dreaded rot bacterium.

Hmm.. maybe rate of suberization will turn out to be the easy to measure
'index of rot resistance' I was wishing for.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Operation Migration daily updates:
International Crane Foundation updates on class of 2001 Whooping Cranes: