Re: HYB: wide falls

Interesting that you mention VIOLET HARMONY, Jeff.  I remember loving its
texture and plant character.  The parentage is Snow Flurry X Cloud Castle,
incidentally. Another that perhaps should have been noted was HELEN MCGREGOR,
from Purissima X Cloud Castle.  Helen McGregor is one of the blues used in
Melba Hamblen's early outcrosses from Hall pinks and is thus foundational in
her breeding.

A couple of others I might well have mentioned for width beyond their
time--especially since they have had enormous impact on modern breeding,
especially through a number of people's--for example Opal Brown's and Joe
Ghio's-- bicolors , are DREAMCASTLE and its close progeny MELODRAMA.

As to the effect of width on form, the modern, very fat form that seems to be
the fashion is most certainly different from "classic" iris form!  I would
love to find and grow again LA NEIGE--classy beyond belief and a lovely
flower.  By no means would it be counted among the "wide."  But it was
astonishingly beautiful.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC