Re: HYB: wide falls

Linda,

I wan't referring to foliage in the remark about Phil Williams' Rocky Top
garden catalog.  It was the fall haft width of the blossoms.  I marked quite a
number of such references in the 2001 edition.  I didn't spend much time on
the 2002 catalog (on account of the incredible medical events in my life this
year), so perhaps Phil rewrote the entries I had marked.  If I run across the
'01 and get time, I will send you a list of those he so noted as "wide."

Merle Roberts is introducing this coming spring a grandchild of SHOPTALK, the
new one also being one of the Wide Hips derivatives.  I found Shoptalk to be a
luminous, very well formed garden subject in a rich, warm violet/claret color
type.  I have a vague memory the name of the intro is to be ROXANNE, but I am
not entirely sure of that.  Merle posted a photo of the seedling now so named
under number (a 00- number) several months back.  A search of the Mallorn Iris
Photos archive by author should surface the one to which I'm referring.  You
may find it interesting--I certainly did, and have plans to order it when
Roberts' Backyard ad comes out in the April Bulletin.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC