Re: CULT: germination & heat mats

Donald, from what I read, optimal germination temperature for TB seeds
is around 50 to 60oF.  They will germinate at higher and lower
temperatures, but it takes longer (which gives more time for them to
change their minds).  Assuming, of course, that all the inhibitors are
out of the way and moisture, and maybe/probably gases (CO2 & ethylene),
and maybe even nutrients (I read somewhere that nitrogen as nitrate (I
think) helps break dormancy in some/many seeds) are suitable.

So if you want to optimize germination, the heat mat with thermostat
would be better.

From other stuff I've read, it sounds like keeping the seedlings warm
will accelerate growth & may be more important for speeding up
generational turnaround than speeding up germination.  So maybe the less
expensive heating cable would work well.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8