Re: CULT: germination & heat mats

Thanks Linda,

> from what I read, optimal germination temperature for TB
seeds
> is around 50 to 60oF.

Sounds like the thermostat keeping temps lower might be
better.

>Assuming, of course, that all the inhibitors are
> out of the way and moisture, and maybe/probably gases
(CO2 & ethylene),
> and maybe even nutrients (I read somewhere that nitrogen
as nitrate (I
> think) helps break dormancy in some/many seeds) are
suitable.

Do you remember what strength solution or if one was
given?  I haven't tried watering with any nitrogen enriched
water.  Maybe some grains of that really high nitrogen
fertilizer used on coastal sprinkled on the pots would
shock some of those carry over seeds to germinate.

> >From other stuff I've read, it sounds like keeping the
seedlings warm
> will accelerate growth & may be more important for
speeding up
> generational turnaround than speeding up germination.

If I can protect them fromm grasshoppers and the late
freeze, so far mine have done pretty well at providing
bloom the following year after hatching.  That late freeze
this year kept it from materializing on most of them, but
the bloomstalks were there.  Probably worth trying on some
though.  Some crosses seem to start slow and then never go
on to grow.  Maybe an early push sooner after sprouting
would get them over the hump and going.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b,