Re: Re: Cultivar Height

>When registering an iris, the height should be an average.  If there is
>a marked disparity (consistently), then the height can be given as a
>range (e.g. 30-36").  If there is only a variance of a couple of inches,
>forget it...unless we're talking miniature dwarfs!
>
>Height should be measured from the ground to the top of the terminal
>flower.  Or to the leaf  tip, if the flowers are down in the foliage...
>:>)

Thank you, Keith!  I always appreciate definitive answers from the Master
of the Registration Station.  ;-)

>When reading registration information, you should ALWAYS keep in mind
>that plants are living, variable entities.  They are NOT going to
>perform exactly the same (incl. height) in different years, in different
>climates, in different gardens, with different regimes of watering and
>fertilizing and light availability.

Of course.  I have experienced surprising variances in the same cv in the
same year in different parts of my garden.  At the moment, I am trying to
organize information I have accumulated on a number of my unknown cvs.
Although I am not yet willing to completely abandon the long term goal of
positively identifying a few of these at some point, all these variables
make success seem discouragingly unlikely.

But at least now I know how to correctly measure the heights of my
unknowns as they grow in specific microclimates in my own garden in a
particular year.  ;-)

Thanks again,

Laurie