Re: JI's and Spurias

In this Zone 4 location (that sometimes behaves like Zone 5 or 6, and once
in a blue moon like Zone 3) I have never had any cold hardiness problems
with any of the Spurias or JI's I have grown. Spurias present no culture
problems at all, except that I had to move some because they were getting
too much shade as some nearby trees continued to grow. JI's are a challenge
here because of the high soil pH and the low humidity, but with attention
to their needs they do survive and bloom, though their performance is not
stellar quality. All my Spurias and JI's were originally obtained from
sources west of the Rocky Mountains.