unknown historics

laurief wrote:
I, however, have a very different perspective on my unknown irises, and I would never deliberately rid my garden of a single one. Whereas named varieties can be easily replaced if they should meet an untimely end in one's garden, a lost unknown is lost forever.
Laurie, I love your sentiment - it expresses the way I garden, too. A friend of mine got three large grocery bags of historic irises from another farmer who was thinning his gardens. She gave me a whole grocery bag of unknown historics and said plant 'em and see what happens.

The description of the irises was quite simple - every color of the rainbow, grows well. The weird part of this all was that he thinned his irises in OCTOBER IN WISCONSIN - and I got the rhizomes in November. I skeptically took the bag, making grumbling noises about how these will never survive . . . . she laughed and said she got the same amount last year in DECEMBER and didn't lose one!!

So I planted them all and will hope for the best. If even half of them survive, I will have a lovely historic iris bed which will bring me joy. If none survive, I am out nothing but a bit of bending.

The joy of discovery awaits me.
--
Pat Mitchell
corgilover@wi.rr.com