Re: CULT: How I feel about the great unknown

 Laurie said:

< I, however, have a very different perspective on my unknown irises, and I
 would never deliberately rid my garden of a single one.  Whereas named
 varieties can be easily replaced if they should meet an untimely end in
 one's garden, a lost unknown is lost forever.  And because most of my
 unknowns are historics, I embrace the alluring possibility that my beds
 may cradle rare treasures from the past that exist only here - treasures
 that someone somewhere is eagerly seeking and that are my responsibility
 to keep safe until discovered and given their proper recognition and
 respect.>

Well said, Laurie!  You seem to have the soul of an historian. Are you a
member
of HIPS?  You would love it. Our mission is to locate, identify and preserve
all the historic cultivars that still exist.  Even if your treasures
do not include any long lost cultivars, that will not dilute the joy they
bring to
you and to others with whom you may share them. That is what gardening is
about when you get down to the root of it, isn't it? (Pun intended.)

Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY, who is a member of HIPS (and many other AIS
sections).