Re: TB: Mariah

In a message dated 12/20/2002 9:19:21 AM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> This is new for me this year, so we'll see what it does with a real
> workout <g>.  It was planted mid October, under fabric plant bed covers.

The first two or three years here, Mariah was grown under a pine bark mulch
in about half sun. Later plant was moved to a heavy clay location in full
sun, never divided, never cleaned of dead foliage, never fertilized. Indeed,
none of these actions have been taken to date. Running about 10 years behind
according to Mariah. Tough in every respect. Bloom a little short but
consistently and profusely. I believe you are in for an enlightening
experience with mulch in general as it relates to irises. Lots of
misinformation in today's garden lore gets repeated until it is accepted as
fact, exacerbating back aches that not necessarily need be.

Bill Burleson 7a/b
Old South Iris Society