Re: TB: Mariah

Oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:

The first two or three years here, Mariah was grown under a pine bark mulch in about half sun. Later plant was moved to a heavy clay location in full sun, never divided, never cleaned of dead foliage, never fertilized. Indeed, none of these actions have been taken to date. Running about 10 years behind according to Mariah. Tough in every respect. Bloom a little short but consistently and profusely. I believe you are in for an enlightening experience with mulch in general as it relates to irises. Lots of misinformation in today's garden lore gets repeated until it is accepted as fact, exacerbating back aches that not necessarily need be.

I would like a little clarification please. Are you saying:

You mulch on top of the iris rzs? All year long?

Are you saying that the current lore (to not mulch at least during spring and summer) is not valid?

John | "There be dragons here"