Re: TB: Mariah/Mulch

Oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:

For my climate current lore is now suspect relative to mulch, but not necessarily deemed invalid. The Morrison data does not record mulch being removed other than by natural phenomena (wind, etc.) and implies that plants remained mulched year round.
As a side note, I have on occasion had irises grow upright rhizomes when mulched heavily. I don't know whether that's from them being left in the dark or because I keep looking for the light.

Thanks Bill, you hit the really important part as far as I am concerned, that being, that mulching and fertilizing are very dependent on your local environmental conditions. For instance, mulching in winter in areas subject to freeze and thaw heaving will help aleviate that problem, but the mulch needs to be removed early spring or rot (in that kind of area) is likely.

No study, in only a single environment, would be valid everywhere.

John | "There be dragons here"

http://www.AISGiftShop.com

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay) Fremont, California, USA Visit my website at:
http://usjoneses.com
Director, American Iris Society

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending:
Subscribe iris