Re: CULT: mulch (was TB: Mariah)

Walter, do you have a copy of the various reports/parts of reports?  Seems like something
HIPS might want to get hold of and sell reprints maybe?

I wonder why they chose PINNACLE?

I remember from the one Bernice Miller catalog (also in Region 24, I think, southern
Alabama?) that I received that she was very interested in cultural conditions (pH more
than mulch as I recall) and was doing a lot of studies of a lot of different cultivars
under different conditions.

Did any of the results reported in her catalogs ever wind up in Bulletin Articles?

Now that I've memorized most of the pedigrees of all tall bearded irises ever introduced
<G>, it would be interesting to see if there might be some relationships among different
breeding lines that persist to this day.

wmoores wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2002 at 13:08, Oneofcultivars@aol.com wrote:
> > > Where was the Morrison report published?  Is it available on the web
> > > somewhere?  How can I get a copy?
>  --------------------------------------------------------------
> It was published by the Mississippi Agricultural Experiment Station, now called
> MAFES,  through a grant from AIS received by C. O. Box in the Horticulture
> Department, Drawer T, State College, Mississippi 39762 in May 1970.
> University Archives in the Mitchell Memorial Library on the campus of MSU might
> have a copy.
> 'Published' in this sense means the old mimeograph/multilith format.  However,
> there are parts on 'slick' paper that appear to have been professionally printed.
> The charge of the grant was to study the effects of mulching of tall bearded irises.
> Only PINNACLE, supplied by Schreiners, was tested.
> There is an Addendum to the report.  Dr. Box decided to study Time of Planting and
> Suberization to coincide with the study on mulching.  I would assume since this is a
> separte report, these studies were not authorized.
> He also stated in that in 1971 he would undertake a 'Fertility Study' and a 'Fungicide
> Study.'  I don't know whether he did or not as I have no reports.
> There is an article in the AIS Bulletin, probably in 1970, about this study.  I have
> that issue but cannot retrieve it at the moment.  Anyone who wants to dig theirs out
> and report on the study has my blessings.  Can somebody find this article in the
> Index that is online somewhere and report exactly what issue this article is in?
> Walter Moores
> Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Worn out by all the hobbit battles today.